Job Description - Manager Labor Relations (047170)
Manager Labor Relations-047170
Description Job Summary
Implements labor relations processes related to input from CSX Transportation (CSXT) internal customers and the labor organizations. Prepares management's position in disputes involving interpretation and application of collective bargaining agreements (CBA) rules and citing the appropriate precedent. Acts as a change agent, assessing and anticipating business needs. Identifies problems, searches for solutions, and makes recommendations to management and labor/union officials in development, application, and interpretation of labor relations agreements. Drive the business through strong partnerships with department leadership, including Senior Directors, Directors and Managers.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Works under the general direction of a senior LR manager to support designated department(s) by facilitating long-term initiatives aligned with the strategic agenda. Drives the business through partnerships with management across LR, HR, and Operations
- Acts as a liaison between Operations management and employees to ensure that LR services are aligned with internal client needs. Identifies new opportunities where LR can add value to the Operation
- Partner with appropriate business partners to identify trends, anticipate changes, and develop & implement the strategy for workforce needs
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with management, labor representatives, and employees to support the goal of resolving disputes in a fair, consistent, efficient and cost-effective manner
- Manage the grievance procedures under various Collective Bargaining Agreements. Interacts with union representatives, Payroll, Crew Management, field managers, and other internal customers
- Investigates facts related to claims, researches arbitral precedent and past practice, writes detailed and well-reasoned responses, and inputs claim data into the appropriate system
- Deliver expert presentations and training on LR/HR topics and content. Works on special projects as needed
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
- Bachelor's Degree/4-year Degree
- 2 or more years of experience in Labor Relations or CSX Operations
Equivalent Minimum Qualifications
- Associates Degree/2-year Degree
- 4 or more years of experience in Labor Relations or CSX Operations
- Graduate Degree
- 5 or more years of experience in Labor Relations, Human Resources, Business or related fields
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Railroad industry knowledge, including the Railway Labor Act
- Business acumen and customer focus
- Ability to navigate through complex and ambiguous situations
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-driven environment
- Applicable technology (i.e., PeopleSoft Human Resource Information System (HRIS) (LCAT), or Oracle)
- Microsoft Office skills, including a working knowledge of Pivot Tables
- Possess strong analytical skills and savvy strategic business thinking
- Problem-solving skills and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to interpret collective bargaining agreements
- CSX mainframe systems skills (i.e., myJOBtrax, TECS, or Payroll)
- Ability to improve employee and organizational performance in challenging work environments while maintaining the appropriate balance between multiple key LR/HR and Operations roles
The CSX Leadership Model is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following: producing results, creating change, and inspiring excellence.
- May be required to complete a background check
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (may include a non-standard work week)
Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. When a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete medical screenings and a background check.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 200 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 230 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information.
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.
CSX Company:CSX Transportation
Primary Location:United States-FL-Jacksonville
Tax Status:Railroad Retirement
Closing Date:Mar 2, 2021, 5:59:00 AM
Number of Openings:1
Travel:Yes, 10 % of the Time